Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chris and Todd and Me

I've grown up to be an average-heighted man, just slightly over 5'8", but not 5'9", though I used to give myself that part-inch. However, I was small as a child.

Chris and Todd were neighborhood kids. Chris lived next door. He is a year older than I am, and he played varsity everything. Todd lived across the alley, and is two years older than me. He and Chris would compete for the win anytime we played sports. I just always lost, but it never bothered me too much because these guys were older and bigger.

In addition to our backyard sports, we each got a game of Basket and had a set of the baseball game cards included in the packs we collected. We would set up our teams and play entire seasons in a couple of weeks.

Each day that we played, Chris and Todd would hand their team's results to me, and I would calculate the pitchers' ERAs, the hitters' batting averages, or the players scoring average (basketball).

No one had taught me how to do math when the numbers got that big - after all, I was only 9 or 10 - so I just figured out how to do it.

It's probably the main reason why they let me hang out with them; well, that, and to put me in football gear and give me a couple seconds for a head start!

No comments:

Working William

William is my best friend at this point of my life. He has an uncommon developed talent for understanding processes, though I don't thin...