Saturday, June 23, 2007

Ninth Grade Algebra

Mrs. Nelson was an old lady about to retire from teaching. When I first learned she would be my teacher, I was afraid of her. I had heard stories about how hard she made the students work, and how hard she graded.

Mrs. Nelson proved to be very wise. After a couple of days in her class, she made me come in after school. She was concerned that I was cheating since I was getting my class work and home work done in about twenty to thirty minutes. She gave me some problems, and observed my work.

The next day, she told the class that when I was done with my work, classmates could use the remainder of my time in the class to tutor them.

I found my ninth-grade yearbook a few years ago, and went through it. There were several, perhaps many, comments thanking me for helping that person through Algebra.

Mrs. Nelson died a couple of decades ago, but part of her lives on with me from the lessons she taught me about capability and use of time.

No comments:

Working William

William is my best friend at this point of my life. He has an uncommon developed talent for understanding processes, though I don't thin...