Saturday, June 23, 2007

My Mom and Algebra

I love my mother dearly, and you likely would, too, if you met her. She has always been there for any of her children at any time.

I don't recall what brought on a discussion of algebra, but her contention was that it's stupid and unnecessary. It seems she doesn't get the concept of variables.

I told her to not put too much emphasis on that. Algebra is about finding the equation that solves the problem, and that she uses it whether she knows it or not. She challenged me on that. I simply asked if she's ever doubled a recipe. Of course she had. I asked how she did it. She said she just doubles everything.

I wrote '2X' where X is the recipe is the formula she used.

'Like hell I did,' she replied!

She's so beautiful to me!

No comments:

Working William

William is my best friend at this point of my life. He has an uncommon developed talent for understanding processes, though I don't thin...